Tesla is seeking an experienced Senior Policy Associate to work on a variety of matters related to light- and heavy-duty vehicle regulation in addition to a particular focus on global battery minerals and responsible sourcing policy. In this position, the successful candidate will have a unique opportunity to inform public policy development related to battery supply chains and sustainable energy, in addition to electric and autonomous vehicles, while working at the federal, provincial, and municipal levels of government. The role includes a combination policy, regulatory and advocacy work. You will be part of Tesla’s North American Policy Team. This role will include traditional functions such as monitoring, providing advice regarding new product development, the regulatory environment, and advocacy with government entities. You will ensure compliance with applicable rules, regulations, and statutory requirements in the jurisdictions assigned. In this role you will also provide strategic advice on policy development associated with regulations affecting the automotive industry in Canada and battery material and sourcing policy in North America and globally. At the direction of the company, the successful candidate works independently in performing tasks that are broad in scope. This position is based in Toronto.
- Research and support the development of formal policy submissions and presentations to be made by Tesla to governments and other regulators in Canada.
- Support and/or lead in the development of materials and briefings for Tesla owners clubs in Canada and identify opportunities to engage with Tesla owners to advance Tesla’s public policy objectives.
- Support Tesla’s Canadian leadership in maintaining ongoing compliance with Canadian, provincial and local lobbying rules, requirements and filings.
- Maintain and build new relationships with governments, as well as like-minded associations and non-governmental organizations, for policy and regulatory matters within your scope of responsibility.
- Support in shaping and strengthening Tesla’s responsible sourcing strategies.
- Maintain a high degree of awareness of Tesla’s Canadian, US and global policy initiatives with a particular focus on battery supply chain policy, responsible sourcing, and critical minerals.
- Conduct briefings, meetings, demonstrations and tours with Ministers, councillors, mayors and other senior government officials and political staff, as required, on Tesla positions related to key policy files.
- Protect Tesla from regulatory risk through compliance and risk management.
- Monitor legislative, regulatory, and policy-making activities of governments at all levels across Canada related to autonomous and electric vehicles; and, across North America and the globe on matters related to critical mineral and supply chain policy. Help Tesla shape outcomes of these activities, in a manner aligned with our mission.
- Provide ongoing support to Tesla’s other Canadian business units, including, manufacturing, sales, delivery, marketing, legal, real estate, service, and charging infrastructure.
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects and adhere to business-critical deadlines.
- 4+ years of policy development or advocacy experience aligned with Tesla’s mission in the public, private or not-for-profit sectors.
- Capacity to learn quickly to support other Tesla priorities including electric vehicle adoption, autonomous vehicles, emission regulation and renewable energy.
- Experience in industry or government related to critical minerals strategy, battery supply chain management and/or responsible sourcing.
- Capacity to work effectively and productively outside of an office environment.
- Excellent understanding of Canadian legislative and regulatory processes at the federal and provincial level.
- Ability to develop collaborative relationships and act as a well-respected, trusted partner that others want to work with.
- Exceptional writing and presentation skills are required.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Application Deadline: N/A