As a Controls Software Engineer on the Battery Management System (BMS) Team, you will have the opportunity to accelerate the delivery of quality Tesla products to consumer markets. You will be responsible for architecting, designing, and implementing firmware validation procedures, equipment, and automation regarding high voltage systems. The Tesla BMS team is extremely focused on the quality of users’ indicators (i.e. range, SOC, power, etc.) which directly plays into the overall experience and te safety of the system as a whole. The team strives to create robust, efficient firmware and your responsibility is to ensure the code quality is extremely high. You will have the opportunity to define, create, and maintain critical algorithmic and simulation infrastructure (i.e. cell plant models, representing complex battery physics). You will also play an important role in our future technology roadmap, including firmware support for new products, packs, cells, etc.. Seeking Sr. FW Engineer or Staff FW Engineer.
- Work cross-functionally with cell modeling, firmware, and battery safety organizations.
- Use a variety of cell and battery pack models, fleet data, and laboratory test data to work with our controls team to create state-of-the-art feedback control and estimation algorithms for Tesla’s high voltage battery packs.
- Design, implement and test cutting-edge algorithms for run-time BMS logic to derive State-of-Charge, State-of-Health, State-of-Power, and State-of-Energy computations.
- Design rapid test iteration framework for developers to use for quick, at-desk spot checks.
- Develop and enhance existing battery models to ensure Real vs. Simulation accuracy.
- Experience with modeling of lithium-ion cells
- Strong communication and preference for working in teams
- Proficiency in C and C++
- Have knowledge in linear systems analysis and estimation algorithm design
- Simulating dynamic models of electrical systems
- Ability to think creatively and produce “outside of the box” solutions
- MS/PhD in computer, mechanical, electrical, aerospace, or materials engineering or proof of exceptional skills in related fields with practical software engineering experience
- Greater than 2 years of experience with battery algorithm design
- Basic experience, understanding, and intuition for the electrochemical physics of lithium-ion cells
- Capable of analyzing algorithm performance in MATLAB/Simulink
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: San Diego, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A