The Manufacturing Automation Development Engineering (MADE) Team is looking for a highly motivated Mechanical Design Engineer to contribute to the design, install, and ramp of automated manufacturing equipment at Tesla’s world-class manufacturing facilities. Tesla is a demanding and fast-paced environment where you will work on developing a new generation of leading edge manufacturing equipment. The Mechanical Design Engineer works with cross-functional teams to design, build, validate, and roll-out equipment to production. The ideal candidate takes pride in their hands-on work, analytical ability, organizational skills, and attention to detail. They appreciate an environment where superior work is encouraged, noticed, and rewarded and where individuals carry tremendous responsibility. They look forward to learning an incredible amount on the job.
- Solve complex, open-ended problems with an emphasis on speed of execution and efficiency.
- Ownership of projects through their entire lifecycle, from initial concept generation through fabrication and production bring-up.
- Liaison between product engineering and equipment design departments.
- Validation of equipment specifications and redesign of systems to meet specs where necessary.
- Conduct design reviews for internal team feedback and for cross-functional presentations.
- Specification and sourcing of commercial components pertaining to designs.
- Preparation of mechanical bill of materials and system documentation.
- Preparation of overall machine design concepts for custom designed special purpose equipment and systems.
- Detailed machine design including creation of machine layouts, detailed part drawings, and assembly drawings.
- Able to work independently and on teams; sound decision making ability.
- Extensive experience with Solidworks™ 3D CAD and 2D drawing software.
- Equipment validation testing and buy-off process.
- Understanding of common manufacturing processes and machines including mills, lathes, 3D printing, sheet metal, weldments, wire EDM, etc.
- Strong knowledge of material properties and applications.
- Hands on tool install and equipment commissioning experience.
- Product design and understanding of Design for Manufacturability principles.
- Mechanical Engineering Degree or equivalent.
- Minimum 3 years of experience related to equipment design and custom machine-building.
- Familiarity with PDM document management system.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Sparks, NV, US
Application Deadline: N/A