The Automation Controls Dev Engineer will work to develop machine and process concepts along with several Engineering peers. Candidate will create a robust system architecture to support the concept, and then layout electrical/pneumatic schematics. Once the electrical panel is built, will program all controls components such as PLC, safety devices, HMI, servo drives, process hardware and robots from power-on to debug, and finally to process fine tuning and validation.
- Participate in Tesla specification and standard creation, release to Vendor and quote technical evaluation
- Participate in initial equipment conceptual development and carefully balance product specifications, process control requirements, layout complexity, cost, quality and lead-time limits.
- Create detailed utility layouts for entire assembly lines and interface with facilities teams for implementation
- Debug and optimize automated processes to maximize cycle time, improve availability and yield.
- Characterize and validate automated processes using a data driven approach such as simulation, Capacity and Capability statistical test (Gage Repeatability and Reproducibility test, Cpk, etc),
- Enforce application of Tesla standards, Manage suppliers during specification, design review, design approval
- Architect, write, and debug PLC ST language with an emphasis on generating code that is organized, structured, documented, maintainable and reusable. PLC code will interact with subsystems such as conveyors, robots, Manufacturing Execution System (MES), machine vision, and 3rd party equipment.
- Work closely with electrical engineer for layout of new industrial electrical control panels which are NFPA79/NEC/UL508A compliant, and create electrical, pneumatic and fluid schematics.
- Establish test plans and control test plan execution at Vendor and at Tesla facility during installation and buy-off
- BS/MS Electrical Engineering (or equivalent – Majors in: Controls and Computer Control Systems, Mechatronic Engineering, Automation Engineering, etc.) or equivalent experience as a hands-on Controls Engineer or Equipment Engineer working on automation and/or electromechanical systems.
- Proficiency with process integration and electromechanical / mechatronic systems
- Field bus Networks (Ethercat/Profinet/TCP-IP)
- Knowledge of Electrical Standards (NFPA79, National Electric code, UL508A).
- Safety PLCs (Beckhoff/ Pilz /Siemens)
- Code-sys PLCs (Beckhoff/Code-system 3.0)
- In depth knowledge of Object-oriented programming , ISA-88 PACKML, IEC 61131-3
- In depth knowledge of Safety standards (ANSI/RIA15.06, OSHA).
- Human Machine Interface (Beckhoff HMI, Ignition)
- Ethernet communications between machine PLCs and database systems(OPCUA/ADS)
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: San Diego, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A