Website Marriott International
As a senior member of the Senior Global Finance team, the SVP, Investor Relations (IR) serves as a conduit between Marriott International and the investment community with the goal of building shareholder value. This position ensures the company is appropriately and strategically positioned with analysts, investors and other stakeholders and partners with management to effectively present a compelling message to the Street, understands the Street’s views and follows SEC disclosure rules. The SVP ensures management is aware of the Street’s views of current and prospective business strategies and trends and advises management on appropriate business and investor relations strategies that will increase shareholder value. The department provides information to the investment community regarding Marriott’s business strategy and performance through quarterly earnings conference calls, presentations at institutional conferences, meetings for analysts and institutional shareholders and special events. The department promptly addresses daily analyst and investor concerns consistent with appropriate disclosure rulesThe SVP, Investor Relations coordinates with and supports multiple stakeholders including corporate leadership, continent, and discipline teams and external stakeholders. She/he must be adept at tapping diverse sources of information, anticipating challenges, and devising and executing appropriate messaging. The SVP must engage across functional leadership organizations to ensure message consistency and enhance Marriott’s image to both Wall Street and other public forums. This position manages a team consisting of a Senior Director and Senior Assistant; however, the position leverages and consults with Legal, Corporate Financial Strategy & Analysis (CFSA), Financial Reporting & Analysis, Global Communications & Public Relations (GCPA) and our senior executives located around the world.
- Provides insights to management and the Board. Provides predictions of Street reaction to company actions & disclosures and on proxy matters; advises management team on the best approach/story to drive long term shareholder value.
- Prepares in-depth earnings scripts, speeches, PowerPoint presentations, press releases and Q&A based on information gathered from subject matter experts, coordinating with other company messages, and encompassing feedback from legal and senior management. Works within the company broadly to gather information and checks reasonability of gathered data to ensure an accurate and compelling message.
- Develops and executes an effective and dynamic investor relations strategy for Marriott International. Ensures the company is strategically positioned with analysts, investors and other stakeholders given current business prospects and economic conditions; ensures management presents a compelling message to the Street, understands the Street’s views, and follows SEC disclosure rules.
- Proposes and develops the company’s financial message in conjunction with the leadership team; monitors day-to-day events to modify messaging as needed; addresses long term positioning of information disclosures including when to disclose and when not to disclose in accordance with SEC disclosure rules.
- Manages investor and analyst relationships; proactively visits institutional investors including portfolio managers and analysts in major markets around the world, independently and with senior management; quickly responds to analyst and investor inquiries; educates the investment community regarding the company’s results, vision, and strategy to deliver shareholder value; maintains a strong reputation for the company and IR function by demonstrating clear, honest, fulsome, candid, and consistent communication.
- Cooperatively works closely with internal communications groups to ensure consistency in messaging; participates in drafting and review of press releases and other disclosures from the company for consistency with investment story as part of Corporate Disclosure Committee; develops other organizational tools as needed to maintain consistent investment story and follow disclosure rules.
- Engages with internal and external groups to enhance Marriott’s reputation and mentor’s junior staff.
- Proposes and organizes special events such as analyst meetings, product introductions, holiday parties, participation in industry conferences, etc.; manages messaging for such events, insure consistent story among executives, and prepares management to respond to the most challenging questions; supervises logistics for such events.
- Conducts proxy solicitation; explains company governance position and gains support.
- Trains management as needed to enhance perceptions of the company and ensure company compliance with SEC regulations; ensures management is accompanied by investor relations staff during conversations with investors to address risk of inadvertent disclosures of material non-public information. In conjunction with the law department, promptly issues press release for inadvertent disclosures of material non-public information.
- Extensive (minimum 10 years) of investor relations experience working with the investment community; Experience managing an investor relations department (minimum 5 years) for a publicly traded global organization
- Ability to consistently make decisions in a timely manner sometimes with incomplete information and under tight deadlines and pressure; comfortable challenging organizational norms and accepted thinking to improve effectiveness.
- Results oriented; delivers results under difficult conditions and demonstrates balanced judgment under pressure
- Responsive; ability to integrate and balance priorities, work activities and resources for the benefit of multiple key stakeholders.
- Ability to travel domestically (approximately 20% – 25%); ability to travel internationally (approximately 5%)
- Knowledgeable in latest investor relations trends.
- Ability to develop and execute an investor relations strategy.
- Skillful negotiator in tough situations; sells ideas persuasively; settles differences and wins concessions without damaging relationships; can be both direct and forceful while remaining diplomatic.
- Strong qualitative and quantitative analytical skills with and an understanding of the economic environment; ability to take large volumes of complex information and present it in a clear and concise manner.
- In depth knowledge of MI business model and strategies preferred
- Skillful communicator both in verbal and written communications; ability to communicate factual information with a marketing style and approach; experience writing speeches, scripts, and press releases.
- Strong interpersonal skills; must be a successful “networker”, both internally and externally; role requires considerable liaison with multiple stakeholders and maintenance of considerable internal and external relationships.
- Self-starter; Ability, confidence, and presence to represent Marriott independently.
- Lodging industry experience in finance or strategy preferred.
Qualification & Experience:
- Baccalaureate degree in Finance, Accounting or related discipline required
- MBA or advance degree in finance preferred
Company: Marriott International
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Bethesda, MD, US
Application Deadline: N/A