The Technical Artist (TA) is a bridge between the artists and programmers. They ensure art content can be smoothly integrated into a game without sacrificing the artistic vision or exceeding technical limitations. The Technical Artist reporting to the Technical Art Director works as part of the art team and coordinates with the artists, art director, and programmers.
The responsibilities of Technical Artists include setting up and maintaining the art production workflow, making decisions on art packages and tools, research\implementation of new production techniques, the implementation of custom tools to improve workflow efficiency, provide feedback and debugging of complex assets.
The Technical Artist typically works removed from the direct creation of game art assets, setting up systems of production, and solving problems as they arise. The Technical Artist is required to keep up-to-date on changes in technology, console hardware, art packages, and new techniques.
- Integrate new technologies into art workflows.
- Work with other artists/TA’s on a daily basis to identify challenges and provide solutions.
- Oversee asset build stability.
- Identify art workflow problems, and work with Technical Producers, Expert’s, TAD’s and TA’s to solve them.
- Oversee asset and meeting budget (memory and performance).
- Establish and enforce naming conventions within assets, tools, and workflows
- Maintain technologies and art workflows.
Qualification & Experience:
- Think creatively to resolve technical challenges and limitations.
- Intermediate knowledge of CG fundamentals: modeling, texturing/shading/surfacing, rigging, animation, lighting, rendering, and compositing.
- Experience troubleshooting CG issues.
- Understanding of multiple gaming platform limitations with regard to visual assets.
- At least 2+ years of games/animation/FX production experience.
- Proficiency with C# or C++
- Intermediate scripting experience with Python or Mel/Maya API.
- Experience providing a bridge between artists and software engineers.
- Experience with at least one 3D package.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Orlando, FL, US
Application Deadline: N/A