Avista is seeking an Operations Research (OR) Analyst to support, analyze, design and develop leading edge optimizations and analytics based decision support tools. This position works independently and with others in Energy Resources preparing complex modeling evaluations of electric resources. Our ideal candidate is familiar with and has theoretical background and practical experience in advanced optimization techniques, including linear, non-linear programming, and mixed integer program theory, including experience using commercial solvers. Has experience in applied operations research, including decision analysis, optimization, simulation, statistics, and stochastic modeling. Is able to architecture, develop, implement, and test software and models in these areas. Can program in Python and other software languages in support of software/model development. Is recognized as a highly productive and innovative contributor in the solution of multi-discipline problems.
- Prepare modeling studies for new resources, power contracts, upgrades, and redevelopment of existing electric generation resources.
- Evaluate the costs and benefits of resource alternatives and provide recommendations through written memorandums and oral presentations.
- Act as an internal consultant to various managers in modeling of business decisions, action plans, and improved operations.
- Architect, develop, implement, and test software and models supporting various Energy Resource objectives.
- Develop in-depth models for analysis of various resource acquisition and optimization strategies, including models developed in spreadsheets and industrial solver models such as Gurobi and CPLEX.
- Consult with the software development teams to derive the best solutions for business.
- Operate and maintain the Company’s Avista Decision Support System (e.g., ADSS) model.
- Coordinate work assignments with other sections and departments to bring about the completion of activities requiring the effort of multiple work groups.
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a focus in Industrial Engineering, Operations Research, Mathematics or related field.
- More than 5 years’ experience and significant growth as an Operations Research analyst or from another related field (a graduate degree may substitute for some of the experience requirement).
- Strong spreadsheet and database skills are expected.
- Strong capacity to work independently and bring new business concepts, analyses, and strategies to the peer group.
- Previous project management experience is preferred.
- Develops and maintains new models to support company business, is a thought leader in the department
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively in a fast paced environment is expected.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Lewiston, ID, US
Application Deadline: N/A