Amazon is looking for an outstanding Senior Applied Scientist to help build next generation selection/assortment systems. On the Specialized Selection team within the Supply Chain Optimization Technologies (SCOT) organization, we own the selection to determine which products Amazon offers in our fastest delivery programs. We build tools and systems that enable our partners and business owners to scale themselves by leveraging our problem domain expertise, focusing instead on introspecting our outputs and iteratively helping us improve our ML models rather than hand-managing their assortment. We partner closely with our business stakeholders as we work to develop state-of-the-art, scalable, automated selection management systems.
- Influence team business and engineering strategies.
- Engage with the broader scientific community through presentations, publications, and patents.
- Set the scientific strategic vision for the team. You lead the decomposition of problems and development of roadmaps to execute on it.
- Exercise sound judgment to prioritize between short-term vs. long-term and business vs. technology needs.
- Communicate clearly and effectively with stakeholders to drive alignment and build consensus on key initiatives.
- Foster collaborations between scientists across Amazon researching similar or related problems.
- Lead a team of scientists to innovate on state-of-the-art assortment planning systems for limited-shelf businesses.
- Set an example for other scientists with exemplary scientific analyses; maintainable, extensible, and well-tested code; and simple, intuitive, and effective solutions.
- Actively engage in the development of others, both within and outside the team.
- Experience designing, prototyping, and productionizing large-scale scientific models;
- Expert knowledge in at least one of following fields: Machine Learning (Supervised and/or Unsupervised, Non-Convex Optimization, Linear Programming, Natural Language Processing, Reinforcement Learning, Causal Inference, Forecasting
- Ability to navigate conflicting priorities and ambiguous problem space(s);
- 5+ years industry experience in science and/or software engineering;
- Sound working knowledge of software engineering fundamentals, including logical and maintainable code, data structures and algorithms, and object oriented design;
- Ability to convey rigorous mathematical concepts and considerations to business and product teams
- Broad knowledge of machine learning and optimization;
- PhD in computer science, operations research, applied mathematics or a related field;
- Fluency in a high-level modeling language such as Python;
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal;
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: New York, NY, US
Application Deadline: N/A